Leader Blues

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TOP STORY > >Ward police to get stimulus money

The Ward Police Department will receive $128,809 to hire one additional police officer for three years, according to members of the Arkansas congressional delegation.

The money, from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Stimulus), appropriated about $8.7 million to hire 60 new officers at 16 Arkansas towns.

The stimulus money is intended to pay 75 percent of the officer’s salary and benefits for three years, with the town providing the other 25 percent.

“This funding will help our state keep and create jobs for our local law-enforcement officers,” said Rep. Marion Berry. “At a time when our police officers are forced to do more with fewer resources, this funding will help support their efforts to keep our communities safe.”

Other cities receiving money for officers include Cotton Plant, Hot Springs (two officers), Jonesboro (seven positions), Little Rock (20 officers), Madison, Marianna, Montrose, Morrilton, Nashville, North Little Rock (nine officers), Osceola, Pine Bluff (seven officers), Texarkana (four officers) and West Helena (two officers.)